History Podcasts

History of Fishers, Indiana

History of Fishers, Indiana

Fishers, located in Hamilton County northeast of Indianapolis, is home to Conner Prairie, one of the best known living history museums in the United States. The land housing the present day museum originally belonged to William Conner, the first permanent white settler of the region, who arrived in 1802 and established a trading post along the banks of the White River.With the establishment of the trading post more settlers arrived. Mary's in 1818. He laid the foundation of the town and platted it as Fisher's Switch. The town was later incorporated in 1891 by Indiana's General Assembly. The ‘switch’ was dropped in 1908 and the town received its present name, Fishers.The first effort to conserve the origins of the town was made in 1927, when the Hamilton County Historical Society placed a marker on the site of the William Conner farm. Conner Prairie was thus born.Fishers saw lots of development activities in the 20th century. Vincents Fisher Hospital opened in 2000.Fishers experienced an accelerated population growth after 2000, owing to which a special census had to be taken in 2004. The census showed a population of 52,390, which represents a massive 38 percent increase over the figures of 2000.The Indiana Transportation Museum, home of the Nickel Plate Steam Locomotive No. 587, is in nearby Noblesville.


Watch the video: Τι ήταν τα τάγματα ασφαλείας; - Η ιστορία ξέρει (January 2022).